contact us site map Home

FAQ Intro

Retirement FAQs

When do I submit a letter of my intent to retire?

Refer to your contract for specific notice requirements.

What papers need to be completed so I may retire?

Retirement form # RS6037 for Employees' Retirement System and form # RET 54 for Teachers’ Retirement System

Where do I get these forms?

Contact the Office of Human Resources, at extension 10134.

Where do I mail my completed form?

To the address on the top of the form.

Classified or Civil Service Employees

NYS & Local Employees Retirement System
Alan G. Hevesi, State Comptroller
110 State Street
Albany, NY 12244

Certificated employees

NYS Teachers’ Retirement System
10 Corporate Woods Drive
Albany, NY 12211-2395

When is the appropriate time to mail my form?

Your completed form should be mailed to the retirement system at least 30 days but not more than 90 days before the date on which your retirement will occur.

If I have specific questions, who can answer them?

A trained representative at each retirement system office:

NYS & Local Employees Retirement System – (ERS) (518) 474-7736 or (866) 805-0990 

NYS Teachers’ Retirement System – (TRS) (800) 348-7298 or (800) 356-3128

Do I need to schedule a consultation with a retirement system representative?

It is advisable to consult with a retirement system representative. All of your questions and concerns will be answered regarding how the pension system works and how to make decisions regarding pension options.

How do I schedule a consultation?

NYS & Local employees Retirement System (ERS) – Call 1-518-474-7736 or 866-805-0990 to schedule a consultation in the Albany office or you may go to the White Plains office at 123 Main Street, 17th floor – this is on a “first come lst serve” basis.

NYS Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS) – Call 1-800-348-7298, ext. 6100 or 800 -356-3128 to schedule a video consultation at the nearest TRS office. The representative will help you choose which site is most convenient for you to attend.

What happens to my health insurance benefits?

Your health insurance carrier is notified of your change in status. You must qualify for eligibility as per your contract, position and number of years employed.

Do I get new ID cards?

Retirees only receive new health insurance cards if they have a status change (family to individual, individual to family) or when they become Medicare eligible. When Medicare becomes primary, you receive a gray card.

How much of the cost of health insurance am I responsible for during my retirement years?

You will be required to pay the required dollar contributions according to your contract.

How do I continue my dental and vision care?

You may continue these benefits under the COBRA Law for 18 months. You will be offered the opportunity to do so by the BOCES Business Office, depending upon who administered these benefits while you were actively employed.

Where do I get a supply of claims forms?

Call Karen Robinson at the Business Office, 845-291-0172.  Claims forms are also available on this website under "Forms". 

What happens when I reach age 65?

Approximately three (3) months before reaching age 65 it is recommended you contact the Social Security office to enroll in Medicare Part B. At age 65 Medicare becomes your PRIMARY INSURER. This means all bills for reimbursement must be submitted first to Medicare then to your BOCES coverage who is the secondary insurer.

How much does Medicare Part B cost? And who pays for this coverage?

Monthly PremiumYearly Income -SingleYearly Income - Married
$93.50 $80,000 or less$160,000 or less
$105.80$80,001 - 100,000$160,001 - 200,000 
$124.40$100,001 - 150,000$200,000 - 300,000 
$142.90$150,001 - $200,000$300,000 - 400,000
$161.40Above $200,000Above $400,000 

*This premium is deducted from your Social Security check. BOCES deducts the amount from your monthly medical premium. 

If I have a change of address or a life status change whom do I notify?

Call Karen Robinson in the Payroll Department, 845-291-0172.