contact us site map Home

Orange-Ulster BOCES

Career and Tech Ed

When can I start taking a program at CTE?

Most students are scheduled for CTE when they are in the 11th grade. Your school counselor can review the different options with you. Additional questions can be answered by calling the CTE Guidance Department at 291-0300.

Would I come to CTE every day? How would I get there?

Classes are offered every day in 2 sessions: at CTE- AM session 8:05 - 10:35 & PM session 12:30 - 3:00; CTE (Health Careers) at Arden Hill- AM session 7:50 - 10:20 & PM session 12:15 - 2:45. Your home district is responsible for  providing transportation to and from CTE. 

Can I choose whether I take an AM or PM program?

That depends upon your home school scheduling needs and program availability. The session you attend is a decision you make with your home district school counselor.

Can I get work experience in my chosen field while attending CTE?

Yes, every CTE program consists of both theory and hands-on components to prepare students for their chosen field. Off-campus work is also available during the two-year program. The Work Based Learning Coordinator will assist in placing students with business mentors in both paid and unpaid work experiences. During senior year, these students may report directly to their work sites up to three days per week where they are evaluated by their business mentors. 

Are all CTE courses two-year programs?

No, some are one year programs. The following programs are one-year: Fire Science, Greenhouse and Floral Technology and Landscape  Design Technology. Computer Assisted Design and Computer Networking can be taken as a one or  two year program option. Please see your home district school counselor for more details.

Are CTE courses credit bearing?

Yes, all CTE courses offer four credits each year towards your graduation. Successful completion of a CTE course can meet sequence requirements and also fulfill the requirement for one unit of Career and Financial Management.

I want to participate in sports at my home school. Can I still do that?

Yes, you can still participate in activities and sports while attending CTE. However, when possible you may want to enroll in the AM session to ensure arriving at after-school activities on time.

Are there any costs involved in attending CTE?

Costs for tuition, text books, and transportation are covered by your school district. Some programs require the purchase of uniforms, work boots, safety glasses, or personal tools that are paid for by the student. These requirements are listed on each program information page. Costs indicated are  approximate and are subject to change. Financial assistance may be available to qualified students to cover the costs of required uniforms, supplies and tools. See your CTE counselor for more information.

Can CTE courses prepare me for post-secondary education?

Yes, CTE students can earn college credits through articulation agreements with various colleges. The CTE Guidance Department can provide you with the most current information on articulation agreements. Contact your CTE counselor for further details on articulation credit. For the most current and up-to-date information on Articulation Agreements please contact CTE Assistant Principal, Neal Wilkinson at (845) 291-0300 or visit our website at

How do I enroll?

Applications for CTE programs are available at your school's guidance office. They must be filled out, signed by your parent or guardian and returned to your home district school counselor.